Age has been described as the ultimate thief. Kafka wrote that the meaning of life is that it ends. The end of life, or death, can also be seen as the ultimate motivation for life. Death creates motion, a living towards an abyss that bounces meaning and structure back into any individual life. Life requires death because permanence is sterile. In a very real sense death creates time. And time, for humans, is aging. Click Images to Enlarge
To cheat time is to cheat death, but cheating time is tricky. It can only be done in moments, in a language that is at the other end of the spectrum from the scientific manipulations that extend life.
Art has the power to create these moments of presence, bubbles of temporary permanence without sterility. Art exists in the moment and also has a transcendent meaning that defies time, rejects aging.
Cemeti Art House
Within the Indonesian art scene, the Javanese capital of Yogyakarta is a source of urban energy. The Cemeti Art House in Yogyakarta forms an epicenter in the energetic art seen of that city. Cemeti has become a "home" to both young and more established artists. Artists attracted to Cemeti share and create a distinctive Indonesian urban energy - active, vital, aware, unassuming, questioning and dedicated to a constant bold re-envisioning of their culture.
Anti-Aging at Gaya Fusion June 2 – July 2, 2007
From June 2 through July 2, 2007 the Gaya Fusion Gallery
in Sayan, Ubud will host the work of 15 Cemeti
artists comprised of :
• Agus Suwage (objects, sculpture)
• Nindityo Adipurnomo (drawing)
• Christine Ay Tjoe (photography)
• Beatrix (painting)
• Eko Nugroho (drawing, embroidery, painting)
• Codhit (drawing, painting)
• Popok Triwahyudi (drawing, painting)
• Terra Brajaghosa (drawing, painting, video animation)
• FX Harsono (photography, painting)
• Melati Suryodarmo (photography, video performance)
• Jompet Kuswidananto (video art)
• S. Teddy D. (drawing, painting)
• Abdi Setiawan (sculpture)
• Hedi Hariyanto (sculpture, neon installation)
• Anusapati (sculpture).
The exhibition is open daily from 9:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. at the Gaya Art Space
on Jalan Raya Sayan, Ubud.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.