In June of 2007, Bali hosted its first triathlon – an epic race combining 1.5 km of ocean swimming, 40 km of cycling and 10 kms of running - all undertaken either individually or in teams of three. Drawing over 200 athletes to an event that began and finished on Bali's picturesque Jimbaran Bay, the inaugural event was a success by any standard, a fact further emphasized by Bali's selection as "Best Triathlon Destination" by the prestigious Competitors Magazine (U.S.A.).
In keeping with the organizer's concept, the Bali race presented a distinctively Balinese event combining races along the Island's picturesque southern peninsula passing traditional villages, where sarong-clad race marshals stood guard, and included a traditional blessing of the bikes and their riders by a Balinese priest.
As Bali prepares for the 2nd Bali International Triathlon on Sunday, June 29, 2008, a gathering of key players joined a lunch in their honor on March 18, 2008, sponsored by the Four Seasons Resort at Jimbaran Bay. Presented with awards acknowledging their selfless support of Bali's first triathlon that resulted in the destination award for Bali were :
• A.A. Gde Agung, the Bupati (Regent) of Badung in Bali.
• The People of Jimbaram represented by the Lurah, the local community leader.
• Inspector General Paulus Purwoko, Chief of Police for the island of Bali.
• Drs. Gede Nurjaya, Head of the Bali Tourism Authority
• I Made Mandra, Head of the Bali Tourism Development Corporation.
• Michael Burchett, Chairman of the Bali Hotel Association.
• John O'Sullivan, General Manager of Four Seasons Resorts in Bali.
More Participants, More Fun at 2008 Event
Growing support from the island of Bali and sponsors ensure that this year's event, scheduled for Sunday, June 29, 2008, will stay on track with its plans to become a major event on the international sports calendar. Some of the highlights for June's event include:
• A planned near 50% increase in registered participants.
• An expanded "beach party" at the start/finish line at the Four Season's Coconut Grove on Jimbaran Beach with live music, vendor kiosks and award presentation.
• Participation by international celebrity triathletes.
• Expanded corporate team challenge category participation with a "competition within the competition" among 3-person teams drawn from the ranks of Bali's leading hotels.
• Exciting prizes for overall and age/sec category winners, including prize purses for top Indonesian finishers.
Registration details are available at the [ Bali International Triathlon Official Website].
Registration for individuals and teams include the race and admission to a pre-race sundowner June 27th and a High-Card dinner on June 28th – both hosted at the award-winning Four Seasons Resort at Jimbaran Bay.
Bali Discovery Tours is offering a range of attractive accommodation options for both race participants and spectators via the official website.
Bali International Triathlon is operated by Bali International Triathlon LLC (USA) - supported by Bali Discovery Tours (Indonesia) and Generic Events (USA).
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.