Bali's punk rock pioneers Superman is Dead (SID) are about to embark on a major U.S.A. tour, spreading their unique style of Kuta Rock on tour dates between June 2 - July 9, 2009. During those 35 days SID will perform some 18 concert gigs in 17 cities, including a multi-city segment with the legendary Vans Warped Tour, only the second Asian band to be invited to do so.
Playing together in one form or another since 1995, Bobby Kool (lead vocals and guitar), Eka Rock (bass player and backing vocalist) and Jerink (drummer) - the three men who comprise Superman is Dead have more than paid their dues with minor indie labels and gigs at less than salubrious dives before finally singing a record deal with Sony-BMG in 2003.
That hard fought negotiation with Sony-BMG included the understanding that the band would be allowed to record most of their numbers in English and also have complete control over their own image. All this from a band who narrowly escaped the Bali bombing of 2002 that took place only 75 meters from their Kuta base.
The U.S.A. tour will allow audiences there to see first hand the musicians who pack Bali's music venues whenever they play and understand why the band has won numerous music awards.
When asked to self-describe their musical style, the band says they are Punk-Rock-a-Bali a mixture of sounds inspired by U.S.A. punk legends NOFX (pronounced No Ef-Ex) and Social Distortion, supersonically fueled with beer-soaked Balinese Rockabilly attitude. Got it? That description alone should drive droves of punk rock devotee to SIDs concerts or conversely serve as fair warning to others get out of town before these guys take the stage.
Proudly Balinese despite their firm embrace of cutting edge punk rock, SID put on a powerful hyper-ventilated stage performance. Girls, and perhaps not a few guys, are drawn to this trio of over-heated musicians with tattooed chiseled physiques, on ready display once their shirts get ditched as the concert cranks up. Accordingly, those expecting to see three demure Balinese guys, all smiles and socially reticent are in for a surprise: This band says what it wants to say, how it wants to say it, and, to be more precise, what they have to say they do so straight in your face.
Mothers of America, lock your daughters at home. These guys love their punk rock, cold beer and night-long partying.
U.S.A. Tour Dates and Cities
- June 02, 2009 Key Club, Los Angeles, California
- June 05, 2009 New York City with the Rock USA Tour
- June 06, 2009 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with the Rock USA Tour
- June 07, 2009 Washington, D.C. with the Rock USA Tour
- June 13, 2009 Los Angeles, California with the Rock USA Tours
- June 19, 2009 Seattle, Washington with the Rock USA Tour
- June 20, 2009 Seattle, Washington with the Rock USA Tour
- June 26, 2009 Pomona Fairplex, Pomona, California
- June 27, 2009 Pier 30/32, San Francisco, California
- June 28, 2009 Seaside Park, Ventura, California
- June 30, 2009 Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, California
- July 01, 2009 NMSU Pan American Center, Los Angeles, California
- July 02, 2009 AT& T Center, San Antonio, Texas
- July 03, 2009 The Showgrounds at Sam Houston Race Park, Houston, Texas
- July 05, 2009 Superpages.com, Dallas, Texas
- July 07, 2009 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Indianapolis, Indiana
- July 08, 2009 Post Gazette Pavilion at Star Lake, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- July 09, 2009 Time Warner Cable Amphitheatre, Cleveland, Ohio
[Superman is Dead Website]
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.