A page-one headline story in the Wednesday, August 19, 2009, edition of The Bali Post confirmed that the 44 immigration officers caught stealing US$300,0000 in visa-on-arrival funds have managed to escape criminal prosecution.
Confirming that the matter will end with only administrative sanctions and a repayment of the misappropriated funds, the Director General of Immigration, Basyir Barmawi, told the press that the visa fee system has been repaired to prevent future misuse of visa-on-arrival funds.
Barmawi's statement that the immigration staffers will only receive verbal reprimands and delayed promotion is at odds with a promise issued earlier by Indonesia's Law and Human Rights Minister, Andi Mattalatta, that the case would be handed to State Prosecutors or the State Anti-Corruption Agency (KPK).
Barmawi said follow up investigations carried out by his department confirmed that the malfeasance had been limited to Bali's airport, with no similar cases uncovered at other Indonesian air gateways.
In response to a question from the press asking why the legal process against the 44 officials promised by Minister Mattalatta would not go ahead, Barmawi said the offending officials were now under scrutiny by a special team from his office. Any future violations by the subject officials would be dealt with ďwithout mercy.Ē
[Prosecutors to Pursue Immigration Corruption Scandal?]
[Bali Immigration Officers Avoid Criminal Charges]
[Corruption Scandal at Bali's Airport]
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.