Now back in its third edition by [Editions Didier Millet], the modern classic of Indonesian travel sagas "Ring of Fire – an Indonesian Odyssey" by Lawrence and Lorne Blair is back on book shelves at all leading bookstores.
Click Images to Enlarge
Based on the Emmy award-winning documentary series of the same name, Ring of Fire
is a first-person account of the adventures of two English brothers as they explore the astonishingly rich cultures of the Indonesian islands. The Blair brothers' escapades began in 1972, and over the next decade, they went on expeditions to Sulawesi, Bali, Borneo, New Guinea and many remote islands in the archipelago, encountering birds of paradise, palaces, magicians, mystics and even dragons. Ring of Fire
stands as an enduring record of a vanishing world and represents an essential addition to the personal collection of every Indonesianist.
A resident of Bali, Lawrence Blair has appeared on television and radio on both sides of the Atlantic and has lectured in psycho-anthropology at the University of California. He is also the author of Rhythms of Vision: The Changing Patterns of Belief.
Lorne, his late brother and companion on the epic journeys the book relates, began his career as an independent filmmaker after working initially for the BBC.
In addition to Ring of Fire, his other films that have appeared on international television include Lempad of Bali,
which won the Mitra Award
at the 26th Asian Film Festival in 1980.
A faithful reprinting of the first and second editions, published in 1988 and 1991, the 3rd edition includes a foreword by Jamie James and an introduction by Lawrence Blair reflecting on his four decade love-affair with the Indonesian archipelago.What Others Have to Say on 'Ring of Fire'
• "Now this is REAL adventure: no radios, compasses, ice, emergency supplies for months at a time through one of the most hazardous and fascinating regions on earth."
- Richard Branson
• "Incomparable adventure teeming with thrills, chills, mystery, and the bizarre..."
- Los Angeles Times
• "Sets sails and sights for lands as unfamiliar and spectacular as anything dreamed up for a Steven Spielberg movie. Thoroughly fascinating nearly every harrowing step of the way."
- Washington Post
• ""These lands are timeless, and so is the series...and unmatchable vicarious experience."
- The San Francisco Examiner
Blair, Lawrence and Lorne, Ring of Fire – an Indonesian Odyssey
[Singapore: Editions Didier Millet Pte. Ltd, 2010.] ISBN 978-981-4260-10-7
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.