An 18-year-old Australian “school leaver” on holiday in Bali tragically lost his life on the streets of Bali’s nightlife area of Kuta in the early hours of Sunday, November 27, 2011.
Jake Mitchell Flannery was apparently killed instantly, electrocuted when he touched a neon sign installed outside Joker’s Bar and Grill and Fourteen Roses Hotel. Piles of building material left on the sidewalk and roadside, a common practice in Bali despite regulations forbidding such practice, forced Flannery and his friends to try to squeeze through a narrow gap between the construction material and a pole supporting the bar's neon-sign.
Touching the pole supporting the sign at a height of 1.2 meters, Flannery let out a scream and immediately fell to the ground. Two friends traveling with him tried unsuccessfully to revive Flannery, bringing him to a local hospital where he was officially pronounced dead.
The chief of the Kuta Police Precinct , Gede Ganefo, has vowed to name a suspect criminally responsible for the death. A police demarcation line has been put up around the scene of the incident while constructions crews have been seen trying to mitigate their culpability by removing the building materials previously blocking the path.
Bali’s current chief of Police, General Totoy Herawan Indra, is known to be "tough" on building safety violations, having launched a vigorous, full-scale criminal investigation after his mother was slightly injured on September 5, 2011, after falling on a malfunctioning escalator in the Matahari Department Store
at Kuta Square.
The bar manager at Joker’s,
Agung Wirakusuma, in comments to DenPost has tried to lay the blame for the death on passing tourists who he claims regularly hit the sign while walking down the street. According to Agung, frequent physical blows caused the short circuit that killed the boy.
Media reports also tell of exposed wiring on the sign discovered by police investigating what is now being treated as a crime scene.
The New South Wales boy had just graduated form Grade 12 and was on holiday in Bali, enjoying Kuta’s welll known nightlife.
The boy’s body lays at the Sanglah General Hospital
in Denpasar undergoing forensic examination while awaiting further instructions from the boy’s parents.
[Celebrate with Caution
[Up the Down Staircase
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.