Balinese Official Holidays Announced
Governor Announces 18 “Local” holidays for 2012 in Addition to 13 National Holidays
|Click Image to Enlarge
Governor Made Mangku Pastika has officially set 18 days in 2012 as “local holidays” celebrated by Balinese Hindus in addition to the 13 national holidays established by Jakarta.
The National News Agency Antara, quoted the provincial spokesman for Bali, I Ketut Teneng, who announced the following local Bali holidays for 2012:
- January 22-23, 2012 - Hari Siwa Ratri - two days set aside for reflection, the personal absolution of sins and rededication to the Almighty.
- January 31, 2012 – Penampahan Galungan I - the day before the official days of Galungan on which the Balinese “slay” their six personal daemons (Sad Ripu) of lust, greed, anger, drunkenness, confusion and confrontation.
- February 1 - 2, 2012 - Hari Raya Galungan and Umanis Galungan – the days to celebrate the victory of Goodness over evil.
- February 10- 12, 2012 – Hari Kuningan I, Hari Raya Kuningan I and Umanis Kuningan I – three days marking the end of the 10-day Galungan-Kuningan cycle.
- March 22, 2012 – Hari Tawur Agung Kesanga – A day of purification ceremonies marked by a night of festive merry-making and ogoh-ogoh parades.
- March 23, 2012 - Hari Suci Nyepi Tahun Baru Saka 1934 – The day of absolute silence in Bali to celebrate the Balinese New Year. Bali becomes a ghost town with airport, ports, business and traffic coming to an absolute standstill.
- March 24 – Ngembak Geni – the day of Nyepi used for friends and family to gather to ask and give forgiveness to one another. Also used as a day of traditional religious ceremonies.
- June 16, 2012 – Hari Raya Saraswati – the Balinese Day in honor of learning and education.
- June 20, 2012 – Hari Raya Pagerwesti – a day of meditation and prayer in which Balinese build internal “walls” or defenses against the distractions and problems of daily life.
- August 28, 2012 - Penampahan Galungan I
- August 29 -30, 2012 - Hari Raya Galungan II and Umanis Galungan II
- September 16-18, 2012 - Hari Kuningan II, Hari Raya Kuningan II and Umanis Kuningan II
[Public Holidays for 2012]
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.