Bali Discovery Tours: Homepage
Bali Hotels, Bali Villas and Bali News from
Home Bali Contact Bali Practicalities Bali News Bali Services Bali Transportation Bali Sports Bali Excursions Bali Villas Bali Hotels
Home · News · Taking Exception to Exceptions
Bali Hotels, Bali Villas and Bali News from
Bali Hotels
Bali Villas
Special Deals!
MICE Handling
Bali Excursions
Culinary - Dining
Guided Tour
Bali Spas
Bali Sports
Bali Transportation
Car Rental - Selft Drive
Private Jet Charter
Bali News
Bali Services
Bali Practicalities
Bali Contact
Bali Career
Bali Update
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!
PATA header
PATA Gold Award 2007
Bali Update
PATA Gold Award Winner 2007
Bali Contact
Bali Discovery Tours
Komplek Pertokoan
Sanur Raya No. 27
Jl. By Pass Ngurah Rai,
Sanur, Bali, Indonesia

++62 361 286 283

++62 361 286 284

U.S.A. Fax:(toll free)

U.K. Fax:

Australian Fax:

++62 812 3819724

Bali Discovery

Bali News

Taking Exception to Exceptions

Bali Governor Pastika’s $16.6 million Suit Against Bali Post Continues

Bali News: Bali, Indonesia, Bali Post, governor, Made Mangku Pastika, Press Law, Nyoman Sumantha, Gde Sudhiantara, Desa Pakraman, Kemoning, Budaga, Tommy Winata
Click Image to Enlarge


The ongoing lawsuit by Bali governor Made Mangku Pastika against a leading local newspaper The Bali Post continued in the Denpasar District Court on Monday, March 12, 2012.

In the latest court session, the governor’s legal team replied to legal exceptions filed by the newspaper’s attorneys. As reported by Radar Bali and Bali Post, one of the governor’s lawyers, I Nyoman Sumantha, refuted the newspaper’s assertion that their suit required powers of attorney signed by the traditional villages of Bali, religious leaders and the public in general. Citing a 2004 law on provincial governance, Sumantha told the Court that the governor’s right to represent the people of Bali was a matter of law.

During the same proceedings, Sumantha listed a number of points of law rejecting the legal exceptions of The Bali Post. The governor, as plaintiff in the case, discounted The Bali Post's assertion that the case should be removed from civil court and handled under the National Press Law. Citing a similar case in which businessman Tommy Winata sued Tempo Magazine, Sumantha told how Winata won his case without resorting to the press law.

The governor’s attorneys also again rejected news carried by Bali Post on September 19, 2011, that incorrectly quoted the governor as calling for the abolition of traditional villages (Desa Pakraman) following civil unrest in the villages of Kemoning and Budaga. The attorneys told the Court, “The reporter from The Bali Post was not in attendance during the governor’s visit (to the villages), but only obtained his news from another mass media member, changing that news so it no longer resembled the original.” The governor’s lawyers continued, saying the defendants failed to check the veracity of their news with the governor’s office. Adding, “It's clear that the Bali Post news was not obtained from a credible news source.”

Responding to the newspaper’s assertion that no law had been broken in the case, Pastika’s attorneys told the Court they believe that a violation of the journalistic code of ethics was also a violation of the law.

Meanwhile, a lawyer for The Bali Post, Gde Sudhiantara, remained steadfast in asking that the case be settled under the National Press Law. He said this approach would avoid the case from becoming overly complicated.

According to Sudhiantara: “The plaintiff complaint uses the words ‘check and balance,’ saying the news was not credible. This means that the basis (of the complaint) is the Press Law. If, in fact, it is determined that a violation has occurred, then it should be resolved under the Press Law No. 40 of 1999.”

Related Articles

[Pick a Little, Talk a Little, Pick a Little]  

[Governor Pastika Prepared to Fight 'Till the Death]

[Press Freedom Means Never Having to Say You’re Sorry]

© Bali Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced if attributed to


Bali News by Bali Update
Subscribe to the Bali Update
Receive the latest news from Bali by email!

Our [Privacy Statement] explains how we handle the data you are providing.

Bali News by Bali Update
Explore the Archive of the Bali Update
Find related articles in our news archive!

or try to use Google Search :

Home · Bali Hotels · Bali Villas · Bali Excursions · Bali Sports · Bali News · Site Map · RSS

Bali News: More News
Who Let The Dogs Out?
Entire Island of Bali Declared a ‘Red Zone’ for Rabies
Sidewalk Empire
Construction of Drains and Sidewalks Disrupting Business and Threatening Safety of Tourists in Lovina, North Bali
Coming Up 2 Million Short
Indonesia to Fall Short of 12 Million Tourist Arrival Targets with Projections to End 2015 with 10 million Foreign Arrivals
Lovina – Loving Indonesia and North Bali
The Lovina Bali Celebrates Turning 3 by Reaching Out to the Surrounding Community in North Bali
Bali: For Whom the Toll Grows
Major Investor Reveals Plans for 125-Kilometer North to South Bali Toll Road
Pool Maintenance
Bali Starlings Bred in Captive Populations Abroad to Return to Bali to Enhance Genetic Diversity
Bali's Best Dining and Bars
Bali’s Best Restaurants, Bars, And Cafes 2015 Crowned
Pray for Rain
Extended Drought Threatens Severe Water Shortage in Kuta and Other Areas of Bali
Double Bladed Consequence
Italian Tourist Goes berserk and Attacks Warung Owner with a Knife in Sanur Bali
A Night at the Museum
Bali’s Arma Museum Named the Nation’s Best Privately Owned Museum
Keeping Ahead of the Wave
New Tsunami Early Warning System Tower at Kedungu Brings to 9 the Total Number of Tsunami Warning Towers in Bali.
A Ban on Reclamation?
Maritime Affairs Minister Announces Plans for a Moratorium on Reclamation of Seashores Nationwide
All [News]!