A terrorist suicide attack on the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Makassar, South Sulawesi, on the morning of Sunday, 28 March 2021, resulted in an immediate tightening of formalities and security at all Bali ports of entry.
At the same time, authorities are now making careful and detailed records of the identity of all people entering Bali.
The Spokesman for the Bali Police, Commissioner Syamsi, confirmed that security coordination between local precincts had been intensified. The extra security precautions apply to Bali’s Ngurah Rai Airport and the main inter-island ferry landing points at Gilimanuk and Padangbai.
“We are also tightening security at traditional ports that can also be used by those attempting to enter Bali unnoticed,” said Syamsi.
Syamsi also affirmed that police are working with traditional village leaders and the general public to record the arrival of visitors in Bali. “We are increasing patrols at places of worship. Personel, both uniformed and plains clothes, are being stationed at every church used by Christians,” he said.